Blessings to the 20 students who received their Baptism, First Holy Communion and Confirmation last Sunday.
These Sacraments of Initiation mean that these fine young men are Catholic, opening up new opportunities to participate in the life of the College. The Mass was celebrated Our Lady of Victories Church (in Christchurch West Parish) by Bishop Paul Martin SM, with Fathers Michael Therese Scheerger, Simon Eccleton & Paul Shannahan. The College extends thank to the many people involved in this joyous ceremony. We pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to guide these young men. We pray that the College and parish will grow closer in each collaboration.
Candidates for Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist:
Seth van Rooyen
Te Wharekauri McGregor
Max van Eysden-Grice
Candidates for Confirmation:
The Mass for Christian Initiation of students from Saint Thomas of Canterbury College was a joyous event.
In a year where we have all shifted our thinking to find new ways of finding hope, the Mass has proven to be the highlight of the year for many.
While COVID-19 lockdown restrictions meant we had to move the Mass date ahead by 4 months, it also created new ways to collaborate across the diocese.
On behalf of the families, the College wishes to acknowledge the guidance, work and support of the following people in preparation for this special event. We are blessed to work with you:
- the students guided by the Holy Spirit: You have been a treasure, a highlight of our week and a source of wellbeing.
- Bishop Paul Martin, SM: for your continued support of the College and its mission.
- Father Michael Therese Scheerger CSJ, Father Sean Mary Britto CSJ, Father Philip Suelzer CSJ.
- Carey Haines, Lisa Gilligan, Vicki Surrey, the musicians and cantors who led us in the music of the liturgy.
- Marianne Daly: your attention to detail is what makes each Mass run so smoothly and with such solemnity.
- Father Paul Shannahan SM, Monty Bamford, Christine Reed, Father Simon Eccleton, Rory Paterson, Cushla O’Connor, the Mission Team of Christchurch Diocese: for your ongoing advice, help and wisdom!
- the parents and whanau of the students: thank you for blessing us with your most sacred taonga, your sons
- Daniel Fogarty & Matthew Pelenato: our Year 13 Gospel Spirituality Leaders for 2020 and 2021 respectively. Your role modelling and hard work are just what the younger brothers need.
- the Faculty of Religious Education at STC: for engaging the students in dynamic explorations of faith, scripture, service and sacraments.
- Bernie Lee, STC College Chaplain: for your kind and gentle leadership of this huge project.
- Steve Hart, Principal: for your ongoing support and encouragement.
Yours in Christ,
Director of Religious Studies